I’ve been Vegan since Veganuary this year. I used to associate the diet with bean sprouts and brown rice, but since “practicing,” I’ve learnt that there are ways to stick to eating junk food. I decided to keep up the anti animal-cruelty way past January and see where it takes me.
Here are some vegan foods for people like me that refuse to give up their comforts:
1. Remember, tortilla chips are still open to you. That means that you can pig out on them to your heart’s content… or rather (ultimately), discontent. So indulge yourself with in a generous, jumbo-sized bag. Just make sure that if there’s seasoning, it doesn’t contain dairy.
2. Dark chocolate can be unhealthy if consumed in excess! It does contain cocoa butter, but that doesn’t have dairy; vegans can eat it. Check to see if the manufacturers snuck milk into the chocolate, though. If they didn’t, go ahead and start your chocolate bar marathon.
3. As long as they haven’t been contaminated by meat, I am pleased to say you are welcome to eat chips! Fat ones are usually the best – but if thin ones are more your kind of thing, they’re usually pretty cheap. So start purchasing your bucketloads of them now. Unless you’re boycotting McDonalds, buy your fries from there; you’ll be a walking oxymoron.
4. Sushi is way less nutritious than you would like to think. Avoid the fish, roe and egg ones, and you’re ready to roll!
5. Popcorn is oily and flavourless, the ultimate vessel to carry sugar and salt. Enjoy.
6. Since you can’t exactly have most hot chocolate (or any drink with milk in it, for that matter), you can make up for your lack of hot sweet drinks… with cold sweet drinks! Coca Cola will be your evil saviour. As will Sprite, Fanta and most other fizzy drinks.
7. Biscuits. Well, some of them are vegan. And almost all of them are unhealthy. There’s currently a HUGE debate going on as to whether Oreos contain milk. Apparently it varies from country to country, and maybe it even depends on the region.
8. Obviously you can eat any crisps without animal products. Luckily for you these include a lot of “meat” flavoured crisps.
Thanks for reading!