If you have been reading my blog, you probably know that my friend wrote me a bucket list. Yeah, that’s right; she wrote a bucket list for me to complete… Well, I must state that luckily we both possess a sense of sense, so there was nothing on there like “Kiss a random woman on the bus” or “Stop listening to The Cure”. However, there was an item on the list instructing me to have a shower fully clothed… which brings me to the point of this post. But first, let me quickly say that after posting the list on this blog, I was given an extra goal from a reader (Belladonna Took) in the comments section: blog about each item once I’ve completed it. So that is what I am doing! Admittedly, the very first thing I completed (send someone a Valentine’s Day card) lacks its own post… but I am letting myself off the hook for that because it got a mention when I published the bucket list :).
I had put the bucket list off for some time. As you know, I am an expert in procrastination so this wasn’t difficult for me, but after a while an inner voice coerced me into getting my act together. So I did it. I ticked my second item off the list: I had a shower fully clothed. This sounds mad, but to tell the truth, it was seriously quite fun. To save time, I showered straight in my pyjamas so that I wouldn’t have to change twice (see the intelligent rocket science that goes on in my head?)
What made showering in my pyjamas so strange was the fact that my whole life it has been drilled into me not to do that. Fine, not in those exact words, but it is a commonly accepted fact that showering is something you do naked. I know, obviously no-one ponders the dress code of daily bodily cleansing on too regular a basis, but I think we understand what I am saying. It was the fact that it was strange that made it fun. You will never know the sensation of warm water slowly soaking into your sheep-patterned sleeping garments until you try it. That feeling of being shrouded in heavy, heated fabric as water drips from your hair and clothing into the bath tub, swirling down the drain. A cocoon of comforting unknown. It was confusing and disorientating, the lovely unfamiliar-ness of the situation. Once I got used to that, though, there was the decision of whether to lather over… or under… my pyjamas, you know what I mean? Upon trial, I found that if you lather over them, 40% of the soap reaches your skin and the remaining 60% just serves as extra washing detergent for your clothes. But it can be hard to reach under. In the end I just enjoyed the shower! The NEW experience!
I stepped out, wrung off my clothes and wrapped myself in the embrace of a towel freshly off the radiator. The sense of achievement was something I hadn’t felt in a while. It was a peculiar feeling, and left me with a high to begin my day on.
Second item off my list!